The learning organization: principles, theory and practice (Infed)
The literature on organizational learning has concentrated on the detached collection and analysis of the processes involved in individual and collective learning inside organizations; whereas the learning organizations literature has an action orientation, and is geared toward using specific diagnostic and evaluative methodological tools which can help to identify, promote and evaluate the quality of learning processes inside organizations.
What do Canon, the Beecham Paper Mill, Pilkingtons, the NHS, Marks & Spenser, Lazertek, Nissan, G & G Fans, Express Foods and Rover have in common? From multi-national household names, to small, committed enterprises, these companies have all been identified as preparing for the future by taking a Learning Company strategy. In addition to the acclaimed features of the first edition, this completely revised and extended text, based on five years of further action, experience and research, introduces fresh tools and ideas to bring your learning organization to life, including:
- Methods for assessing the Energy Flow of your company;
- Ideas and tools for developing Dialogue,
- Whole Systems Development and using IT networks for organizational learning;
- The seven modes of being and learning;
- A major organizational case study applying the 11 characteristics of the Learning Company in practice;
- A learning approach to strategy
- Participative policy making
- Formative accounting and control
- Internal exchange
- Reward flexibility
- Enabling structure
- Boundary workers as an environmental scanner
- Inter- company learning
- Self-development opportunities for all.
- A survey of writers on the learning organization.
There is no blueprint for the Learning Company because each is unique, however, Mike Pedler, John Burgoyne, and Tom Boydell provide you with the practical tools to help design and create an organization that is capable of adapting, learning and developing. At the forefront of new thinking, this essential and highly readable book is packed with ideas, information, advice, tools, ‘Glimpses’ and references to help you ensure that your organization is geared up to meet the demands of an everchanging and unpredictable environment.